Overview of that week
Pregnancy can be stressful and demanding on the mother. As a result, you might not be able to find quality time to spend with your partner. But it is equally important to take care of your relationships during pregnancy.
Around the 16th week when your body is doing most of its job correctly without much interruption, try to reignite the passion with your partner. It is totally safe to have sex during pregnancy up until the day that your water breaks.
The baby weighs about 150 grams. The fast-growing baby will cause you to gain weight making your bump more visible. Increased blood flow makes your cheeks flush. The veins are visible on your baby due to thin and translucent skin.
The baby is almost 4 and a half inches in length and has the blueprint of his hair formed on his scalp by now. Now, not only can you see your baby through the ultrasound but your baby might be able to follow light through your belly even though its eyes remain shut.
Body changes and symptoms in mother
Veins become visible
The veins appear larger on you due to increased blood circulation and will become more visible when your feet and ankles are swollen towards the end of the day.
You start to look pregnant
Your baby is around as big as an avocado now and because of that your uterus and the stomach is stretched out. You might have even gained a couple of kilograms. There is not much you can do to hide the fact that you are pregnant and your body is not helping you hide it as well.
The growing belly will put pressure on your spine and cause your back to curve. This can be painful and uncomfortable for you. It might affect your day to day activities and also affect your sleep. There are some exercises that you can perform to work your back muscles and relieve the tension to ease the pain.
All the stretching muscles on your stomach and increased pressure on your nerves will cause constant pain and discomfort around your body. You might also feel congested and hot due to the increased hormonal imbalances which will disturb your sleep. Make sure not to consume coffee right before your sleep and stay away from the screen at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
It is important for you to get a good night’s sleep because the rest will ensure that your health is in good condition, which is of utmost importance for the pregnancy.
What should you do and don’t
- You can keep exercising, but make sure to keep them moderate and avoid more strenuous workouts.
- Keep up with your water intake to ensure you are adequately hydrated.
- Use a pregnancy pillow if you cannot find comfortable positions to sleep during the night or during a day nap.
- Maintain a healthy diet required to get you to sleep during the night.
- Use a humidifier in your room if your nose is dry and you feel congested during the night.
- Take warm showers to ease back aches and swollen feet.
- Ask your partner to give you light massages if you feel pain in any part of your body.
- Contact your care provider in case you notice any signs of yeast infections.