Overview of that week
This is the week when you are most probably going to find out if you are pregnant. You’ll be able to confirm your pregnancy with a positive pregnancy test at home. You can later visit your doctor’s office and confirm the results of your at home kit with a blood test.
Even if you are going to get excited, your energy levels will be at a low this week and will be the same for the upcoming couple of weeks. The early pregnancy symptoms will humble your excitement. However, by the end of the first trimester, you will be back with a pregnancy glow and extra boost of energy.
It might be interesting to know that your baby embryo at 5 weeks is only about the size of a grain of rice.
Your baby is now referred to as an embryo. The baby embryo’s heart is taking form along with the spinal cord and the brain.
The growth of your baby will be very rapid in the coming weeks and most of the vital organs are going to develop and take form. So, you need to ensure that you are taking proper care of your body during this time. Stay away from toxic substances like drugs, alcohol, and smoke that can interfere with the development of the baby’s organs.
Body changes in mother
If pregnancy symptoms haven’t already started to show in your case, the fifth week is definitely going to be an overwhelming experience for you.
If you weren’t expecting one or haven’t tested yet, a missed period is going to be the first and foremost symptom of you carrying a baby. Normally a menstrual cycle is anywhere between 21 to 40 days. If you still haven’t gotten your period yet, chances are that it is the first symptom that you are carrying a little one.
Either due to the excitement and nervousness of carrying a baby or the doing of the hormones will cause you to be anxious. Consider it a normal state of being around this time. Especially if you haven’t told your partner yet, it can be slightly overwhelming. But it is just a matter of time before you get used to being pregnant and all the attention.
One thing that movies definitely get right about pregnancy is that you start to have weird and new cravings. Food that you might have never liked or thought about eating before will excite you.
Implantation happens between 6 to 12 days after your ovulation. So, if you ovulate a bit late chances are that your implantation will happen this week. As a result, you might have implantation bleeding, spotting and even cramping this week.
Along with these symptoms, the early symptoms of pregnancy such as sore breasts, nausea, and heartburn will start to show if they haven’t already.
What should you do and don’t
- Get an at home pregnancy test kit to know if you are pregnant this week.
- As soon as you find out that you’re pregnant you should stop the consumption of alcohol or tobacco as it might affect the growth and development of the baby.
- You should reduce your caffeine intake.
- Testing and screening for genetic disorders.
- Once your pregnancy is confirmed, you should only consume medicine that is safe for you and your baby. Consult your doctor before consuming any medicine.
- If you get a positive urine test, schedule a visit with your doctor or OB/GYN.
- Consume small meals throughout the day to avoid stomach distress.
- Include healthy food, vegetables in your diet that are rich in nutrients.